Thursday, July 19, 2012

Beware

There are days when I feel as though I have given away one thousand pieces of myself. 

I have nurtured and cared for and looked after and fed and sheltered and loved and listened and patted and comforted and cheered and helped, over and over again, until I find myself standing on the edge of the Void, cold and tired and hollow. I gather the scraps of my energies and endure, waiting for the Universe to recognize my fatigue, hoping for it to take my hand and wrap me in warmth and feed my hungering soul.

I tell myself:  I do not want what I cannot have.

And yet: I do want.

I am hoarse, tear-stained, shivering; my hands out, my palms up. I cannot speak the words: I need.

The Universe remains silent.  And edges fray.

I fear that when my patience comes to an end, rage will consume me.

Beware the fury of a patient man.  - John Dryden

No comments:

Post a Comment