Monday, November 1, 2010

Monthly Love Letter, the First

Herself was thinking back this morning to those long, long years when she and her Beloved lived in separate states.  It was a nearly every-day ritual to compose a letter, whether short or long, to her Beloved. She truly enjoyed taking that moment to let him know she was thinking about him, missing him and looking forward to their time together. Although her letter-writing abated once they were finally married and together, she still thinks quite fondly of those days when words on paper would bridge the distance between them.

Now in the present, so busy they are, and so mired in the daily grind of LIFE, that oftentimes she feels like she does not have adequate moments to remind him that he is loved, treasured, admired, desired, and needed. In an effort to ensure he knows the depth of her feelings for him, she has asked that I allow her periodic space in the blog for an electronic letter to him. It is not enough, she states, to tell him in person; she wants the the Internet, with its eternal and wide-ranging presence, to hear as well. Only by shouting from the electronic rooftops, she says, can she begin to explain how she feels.

And without further ado, her letter today.
___________________________________________________

My Beloved,

Today I am thinking about the very first month that we spent apart. You'll remember, I was sweltering in the northeastern humidity, and you were home in the dry southwest. My coworkers that long, hot summer would periodically ask me questions like, How can you be so *sure that he is The One? You only dated him a month - how do you know he feels about you the way you feel about him? How can long distance possibly work? It was so difficult to listen to negative comments; and yet despite hearing them, there was never any doubt in my mind.

For I knew, from the moment I met you, that there was something different about you. Something special, something important. Something I needed to learn. I knew then that you would be a shining light on my path of life, providing me hope and guidance even when I was at my most despairing and most lost. And so you have been, day after day, no matter how near or how far apart we are. I am so grateful.  I owe you more than I can ever repay.  Thank you, my Beloved. 

The sum which two married people owe to one another defies calculation. It is an infinite debt, which can only be discharged through eternity. ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Now and always,
Yours

2 comments:

  1. That was very nice. Thank you.

    Still falling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your love is such a wonderful thing. It gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete