An older earworm has resurfaced: Harry Styles' cover of Girl Crush. I'm not entirely sure why this particular song is so VERY stuck in my head right now, but it is. Let's contemplate.
Work has been extremely busy (painfully so), and it's been hard to take a moment to breathe or to seek a moment of zen. I'm plowing through the Things That Need Doing, and I am retaining my patience and my (relative) fortitude. There is precious little time, however, for empathy, sympathy, gentle kindliness, the kinds of sentiments that used to be so important to me. Am I hardened? Or am I just... tired? Cannot pour from an empty cup. I'm holding on to the feelings that are too personal and too precious to give away right now.
Girl Crush gives me a moment to feel a few feelings for which there is no time (or no space), the kind of feelings that were so in depth back in the days of youth. I miss the purity and intensity of the longing, the wanting, the wishing for the other person's presence -- a wish so fierce, it burned the edges of the heart. I did not know that those times were the blessedly simple times, before Responsibility became my constant companion in Life.
Perhaps Girl Crush reminds me of the days when I could put all else aside and think about Love.
I wish for all of you, the kind of Love that Harry Styles sings of -- but let it be requited, and let it be unencumbered by the follies and foibles of Life. Everyone should be so fortunate.
No comments:
Post a Comment