Thursday, October 3, 2024

Awkward Calls

 Herself speaks.

It's the beginning of the month, and so I do my lovely-Daddy-related tasks: I take care of Mom's regular bills, and I check Daddy's emails to be sure no unusual bills or other correspondence have come through. These are quiet little tasks that do not take long, but allow me to ensure that lovely Daddy rests in peace. Don't worry, Daddy, I'm taking care of things. You can rest easy. 

This month, he had a reminder about a doctor's appointment. (It's not as unusual as one might think for this to happen; this was for a routine appointment that would have been made far in advance.) Out of courtesy to the doctor, I made That Call, to let them know that Daddy wouldn't make the appointment. Or any other appointments, ever. 

People are always so very kind when I tell them that Daddy is Gone. As awkward as it is to have to be the bearer of sad news, it is always a moment when strangers appear to be genuinely sympathetic. 

In this hard world, I'll take those few seconds of compassion. Even though it invariably, momentarily, softens the walls I have built to protect myself. 

I miss you, Daddy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment