Thursday, September 25, 2014

Love Letters

I think it might be time to work more on writing my letters.

A real love letter is made of insight, understanding, and compassion. Otherwise it's not a love letter. A true love letter can produce a transformation in the other person, and therefore in the world. But before it produces a transformation in the other person, it has to produce a transformation within us. Some letters may take the whole of our lifetime to write.

― Thích Nhất Hạnh, Your True Home: The Everyday Wisdom of Thich Nhat Hanh: 365 days of practical, powerful teachings from the beloved Zen teacher

Behold, the letter touted as the "oldest love letter in history," found here:
 http://blog.myheritage.com/2011/02/oldest-love-letter-in-history/

2 comments:

  1. I used to write myself love letters (before I moved home to my parents' house where I think it would be too weird to explain to them...) just to remind myself that I should show myself some love and compassion. It was exercise in *seeing* the work I was trying to do... I miss it and still haven't figured out how to get it back in my life... this is a great reminder. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete