Sunday, April 22, 2012

Making Time

An odd little moment of yesterday:

Scene:  the local home improvement store, in the garden department.  Herself waited by a cart containing various plants while her Beloved searched for one last particular plant.  She noticed an elderly gentleman, sporting a vest indicative of his employment at the store, looking at her and then walking purposefully in her direction.  She worried whether her cart was blocking an aisle or she was somehow doing something wrong.

Elderly gentleman:  Are you waiting for someone, or just catching your breath?

Herself (relieved that she is not inconveniencing anyone): Oh, I'm just waiting. 

Elderly gentleman and Herself proceeded to discuss the various plants in the cart, including the interesting succulent that Herself picked out.  Eventually, Herself's Beloved husband reappeared with the last plant.

Herself:  Ah, here he is.

Elderly gentleman, flatteringly, to Herself's Beloved: I was making time with your wife. I didn't know she was married.

Beloved husband: I'm a generous man, I'm willing to share her time.

Elderly gentleman:  Oh, I doubt that!

Herself, inside her head:  Egads.  I'm just going to smile embarrassedly and head towards the register now.

:::off she went:::


No comments:

Post a Comment