Sunday, January 1, 2012

And The Year Is New

New Year's Eve was everything for which Herself could have wished.  She tidied the house, and then savored preparing a new recipe for dinner and kneading the dough for fresh bread.  She, her Beloved, all three Offspring, and Cherished Friend spent the evening together, consuming tasty things, watching a movie, and enjoying one another's company. Her heart was full. She could not have asked for anything more.             

And now we have landed upon New Year's Day, immensely grateful that 2011 is over and that 2012 has begun. We put behind us the raw sorrows and frustrations and worries of the year, and open our hearts once more to hope for the future. We cross our fingers and dream that 2012 will be better. 

Herself kept one New Year's resolution from 2011 all year long.  She is satisfied with this success, and plans to repeat the resolution for 2012 as well.  She has explained the resolution thus:

Like a lot of people, I struggle with my weight; when I figured out that some days my mood would depend on the actual number of pounds, I decided that my attitude was far more unhealthy than any possible excess weight. I resolved not to look at the number on the scale all year long. I concentrated on trying to eat better and exercise more, and to focus on how my clothes fit and how I felt about my myself. I had ups and downs, quite literally, but in the end, I gained a better control over my self-image and self-confidence by ignoring the number on the scale entirely. 

This morning, she weighed herself for the first time in a year; this will be the only time for another full year that she will do so. So, what did the scale say?

Despite it being holiday season (with its typical bonanza of consumption), and even despite her relative lack of exercise over the past month due to hip-associated issues and illness, a calculation of her Body Mass Index (BMI) using the number on the scale today put her at 22.4, which is squarely within the "normal" range.  A brief search using The Google further reveals that in relation to other women her age and height, she is in the 15th weight percentile -- which means that comparatively, she's maintaining a weight that is less than 85 percent of women her age.  In the grand scheme of things, all the statistics are Good.  Onward!

Her new resolution for this year is simple:  to improve her diet.  She plans to eliminate as many pre-processed and pre-packaged foods as possible, to increase her intake of fruits and vegetables, to cook more often and to watch portion size more carefully.  The results will hopefully be twofold:  one, she will maintain a healthy weight; and two, she will minimize migraine by reducing the number of migraine-triggering foods she consumes.  She can do this.  We will keep you informed as to progress.

My lovely readers, I wish for you security, health, laughter and kindness. May the Universe grant us a bountiful year.  Together, we can conquer all obstacles and find joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment