Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Elves and Ghosts

It must be quite simple for children to imagine themselves as part of the Harry Potter universe. To receive that coveted letter with its emerald green ink; to explore the castle and grounds of Hogwarts; to have a wand; to meet, befriend, or even be, The Boy Who Lived. Bliss.

For those of us of a certain age, it's a bit more difficult to envision. We are too old to sit in the Transfiguration or Potions classrooms, and it has been eons since most of us were students, anyway. We would have to dance with the Professors rather than the students at the Yule Ball. We are a bit jaded. Nevertheless, I am certain that there are places for us in that magical world.

I can well picture Herself as Madame Pince. Fond as Herself is of words and of small, furry creatures, she would find a happy home in the Hogwarts library among the unusual books that require extraordinary attention and care. If anyone could tame a Monster Book of Monsters, Herself could.

The most clear role for Herself, however, would be that of one particular magical creature: the House Elf. She is fiercely devoted to those she loves, and fewer things make her happier than nurturing them. She works to discover and prepare the things that they enjoy eating; she tries hard to perform whatever small acts of service will be of greatest use to them; she is quick to leap to her feet and help the moment that she is asked. She is the keeper of secrets, the soother of rumpled brows, and the holder of germ-infested hands. Like the House Elf, she is at her best when she is asked to serve.

And I? I would be a house ghost. My mentor, Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington, could undoubtedly provide helpful tips on navigating the intricacies of ghost experience even though his corporeal predicament ("nearly headless") is practically the inverse of mine. I would be pleased to provide snippets of my philosophy and wisdom to any students who seem to require it. In fact, such a ghost existence would be markedly similar to the one I have now. It would be most enjoyable.

Perhaps I could persuade my friend, the partially-torsoed pirate, to be a ghost with me.


1 comment: