Saturday, May 18, 2019

Moving

Herself speaks.

For the road trip I mentioned earlier this week, I journeyed forth to Offspring the Third's college, helped him pack up his possessions, and returned home with him. He is relieved to be home. I am relieved on his behalf, that the grueling semester is over and he can relax and decompress.

When I arrived at his dorm suite, he was not yet there (he was helping a friend move an art project). I entered his bedroom in the suite, and looked around at his clutter and disarray. In truth, it was a little overwhelming to me -- I am not a visual person, and I find myself stressed by the sight of too many things all at once. Nevertheless, we were on a deadline to pack up and get out, so I rolled up my sleeves and got to work. He arrived shortly thereafter, and reviewed for his last final exam while I continued. He went and took his final exam and I began moving the packed bits into my vehicle. All told, it took about six hours to pack and empty the room. And then he was done.

As I packed, I thought about the level of faith that Offspring the Third has in me: he knew that I would not judge him for his mess or the multitude of his miscellaneous possessions; he trusted me to take care of the things that needed doing. And I did. I know how overwhelmed he has been. Doing this act of service was an act of love.
------

I'm sure I've made mistakes as a parent -- it's inevitable, when navigating the mysterious waters of raising another human being while being a fallible human being oneself. Nevertheless, I hope that I have succeeded in teaching them that when they are overwhelmed by a task at hand, I will pitch in and help them get through. I'm not here to judge them for being anxiety-laden or sad or overwhelmed or paralyzed by uncertainty or exhaustion:  the rest of the world will do that. I'm here to be their backup; to be a safe place to land.

The world can be a cold, hard place. Everyone needs a place of safety. As long as I can, I shall be a sheltering tree for those I love.

Picture copyright 2016, 2019, Mediocria Firma
All rights reserved. Used with gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment