Friday, June 2, 2017

Twenty

Herself speaks.

It was twenty years ago this time of year when I moved here to this desert land.

Beloved Husband and I had been married just under six years; Offspring the First was four years old, and Offspring the Second was two. Our only pet was Peacock (who traveled on the plane with us, much to the consternation of other passengers who could not determine from where that occasional bird-chirp issued).

It was a difficult transition: I had to say farewell to my colleagues at the only job I had ever had after graduation (at the time, I did not know that I would telecommute, and periodically interact with these colleagues again, for the next seventeen years). I left the state in which I grew up. The southwest was an Unknown.

New region, new house, new life.

I had my 30th birthday shortly after we arrived here, which was difficult, too, in its own way -- it was an indication that I was no longer a youngster, but a full-fledged adult. I had to find a preschool, a pediatrician, the local library; the grocery store, the post office; the right place to purchase inexpensive clothes for the growing Offspring. It was tricky, learning to navigate the mundane details of a new environment without benefit of GPS or of guiding advice from local women (for I knew none).

It was very hard at times. But it got easier.
-----
Here we are, twenty years later. Since the move, we have added Offspring the Third, and all three Offspring have grown up well in this desert land. I have witnessed Beloved Husband's love of this city on a regular basis, and have watched him flourish professionally and personally in his favorite desert.  We often visit my lovely in-laws who live in this city, too. I do not see much of my extended family, but the internet, e-mail and text have made keeping in touch easier than it was in the beginning. I have made a friend who has enriched my life tremendously.  And I have found my way -- or at least a way -- through this desert land.

I do not feel as old as I am. I still feel as though I am a youngster, finding my way.

With a bit of luck, there will many more years, and many more adventures, both within and outside of this desert land.

No comments:

Post a Comment