Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Neutral Party

Herself speaks.

When I was a wee little girl, I had two tiny ceramic farm animal figurines: a pig, and a duck. I loved to hold them in my hand. They were soothing, cool to the touch and so smooth. Once when my mother took me into the Big City to go to a symphony event, I took the tiny duck with me, in the pocket of my fancy dress. I remember that well.

That pig and duck -- like so many childhood toys -- have been lost to the sands of time. I was thinking of them the other day, when I recalled a book I read to my own Offspring when they were wee little. In Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type, there is a disagreement between the farmer and the farm animals, and one creature was enlisted to serve as messenger between the sides. "Duck was a neutral party...." Ah, duck. Everyone needs a neutral party sometimes. Or to be a neutral party.

I have never seen a pig like that tiny figurine I remember. However, I recently found a tiny duck, just like that of years ago. Ah, duck. I am glad to have found you.

No comments:

Post a Comment