Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Just in Case

Herself speaks.

I have had a Dementor. Its origin is uncertain, though its presence has been clear. I am trying very hard to banish it. To help, I have been listening to the Harry Potter series on audiobook (Jim Dale version, always) yet again, because the books are consolation and enjoyment even in the midst of difficulty. I just finished the fourth book. One moment in particular struck me this time:

The morning after Harry's name has come out of the goblet of fire, he does not want to face the great hall for breakfast, and yet does not want to remain in the Gryffindor common room. As he exits through the portrait hole, he encounters Hermione; she has toast wrapped in a napkin, and suggests that they go for a walk. They do so, and talk about what has happened. She then provides ink, quill, and parchment so that Harry can notify Sirius of what has happened. 

There is nothing complex about Hermione's actions -- and yet, they show the great depth of her love for her friend Harry. She anticipates what he does not want (to appear in the great hall), what he needs (food and conversation), and what would be most helpful for him (to write to his Godfather).  She listens to him, supports him, and reassures him. It's simple, and lovely.
-----

C.S. Lewis is quoted as saying: Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art.... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.  Harry Potter would no doubt agree that his friendships give tremendous value to his survival: they ease his burden, and bring him joy. He is lucky to have the friends he does. 

I would agree, too -- for I have drawn on strength gathered from time spent conversing with a friend, and am finally able to cast a patronus to protect myself against the Dementor. Lucky am I. And grateful.

We should all be so fortunate. 

I love my friends
neither with my heart nor with my mind.
Just in case…
Heart might stop.
Mind can forget.
I love them with my soul.
Soul never stops or forgets.
- Rumi

1 comment: