Monday, May 28, 2018

The Personal Grief of Climate Change

Herself speaks.

There was historic flooding in Ellicott City, Maryland -- for the second time in two years. This incident would normally have been merely a blip on the whole Terrible Climate Change radar. This time, though, it is a small, yet devastating tragedy.

The one missing man is the best friend of one of my Facebook ladies. Hope fades, as he has been missing for twenty-four hours, and was last seen being swept away by the floodwaters.

Gone. Her Best Friend.

The kind of friend who, despite living several states away from her, still texted and/or spoke to her every day. The kind whom she leaned upon when life was hard, who provided support and encouragement and humor in her daily existence. The kind who is warm-hearted and generous of self. The kind who will leave a gaping hole in the community in which he lived, and an un-mend-able gash in her soul.

I cannot even fathom the depth of her grief. This is the sickening kind of horror that plays into the worst of fears: to have someone who is a piece of your heart, snatched away from you. Suddenly. No warning. No chance to say goodbye. No chance to say "I love you" or "Thank you" or "save a seat for me, wherever you go."

I am so sorry, my Facebook friend. Godspeed to your fine friend. My heart is with you.

EDITED 5/29/2018 TO ADD:

They have found his body. Rest in peace, gallant friend of my Facebook lady. We will do what we can to bring her consolation.

1 comment:

  1. Heart breaking. I saw his photo this morning. I have been away and not super connected to news. I am so sorry. Please extend my sympathy - though I may not know you or her personally, the loss of a dear one is so hard, I send her all the peace that is possible.

    ReplyDelete