Thursday, May 3, 2018

Sunspot

Herself speaks.

Dermatologist today. After the second MOHS surgery for basal cell carcinoma, I was advised to have a skin review every six months instead of once a year. Alas. And this was, in fact, slightly earlier than originally scheduled, because there was A Spot Of Concern.

As I filled out the standard check-in information, the following question popped up:

"I would like to discuss Botox or fillers with my provider today."

And I thought: SWEET FANCIFUL MOSES NO, I DO NOT WISH TO DISCUSS BOTOX. I DO NOT WANT ANYTHING APPLIED TO OR POKED INTO MY FACE THAT IS NOT MEDICALLY NECESSARY BECAUSE I HAVE ALREADY HAD FAR TOO MANY UNPLEASANT EXPERIENCES.

Perhaps the check-in program heard my thoughts, because I was then asked:

"I am NOT interested in discussing cosmetic services."

Indeed.

Truth is: I am in the demographic that might want Botox or fillers. Alas. I feel... so middle-aged.

The good news is, the dermatologist felt that the Spot Of Concern was merely "pre-cancerous". (How strange, that "pre-cancerous" is a Good Thing.) Actinic keratosis; easily treatable. A little liquid nitrogen, and I was on my way. With a little luck, that will be the end of that particular spot -- for if it returns, I will go down the biopsy-possible-MOHS road again.

I won't think about that now, though. For now, I am grateful that the skin in which I live has passed muster for another six months (as long as nothing untoward pops up). Here's hoping.

Such is the life of a pale person in the desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment