Monday, October 16, 2017

Onerous Tasks

Herself speaks.

Today, I addressed errands/tasks for three of the four other people in the household, plus one of the dogs: the bank, a series of onerous phone calls, the pharmacy, and the vet's office. Tomorrow, I will tackle an errand for the fourth person in the household, plus follow-up on some of today's tasks: a different pharmacy, a different bank, more phone calls.

I do not undertake these chores for my household members begrudgingly. As the person who pays the bills and keeps track of medical information (both human and canine), I am best suited for these tasks. And I do, truth be told, derive a certain sense of satisfaction in being helpful to my Important People. Can I ease someone's burden by undertaking a chore for them? I am all over that. 

I confess, though:
I wish I had someone like myself to undertake onerous tasks for me.
And I wish I were comfortable asking someone to undertake such onerous tasks.

The people nearest to me are all limited in their own ways -- time, availability, other Valid Reasons for being unable to assist. I do not hold it against them. They help when they can, if I ask: the floor gets mopped, the dishwasher emptied. I still must conduct the organization and the delegation. Someone must keep track of It All, and I am that Someone.

Just the mental labor is tiring.  Yet, it is all part and parcel of being a responsible adult.

Sometimes, I wish for a reprieve from being the responsible adult.

Somewhere, in some mythical land, there is someone -- a house elf? -- who anticipates what needs doing, and handles things quietly in the background, and lo and behold things would get done without my assistance or direction.  It would be a magnificent relief not to have to keep track, to plan, to make lists, to point out what needs doing, to follow through. Aaah. That would be lovely.

Perhaps I should check the wardrobes for doors to Narnia. One can always hope.

2 comments:

  1. *sigh* it is often the curse of those who are the right mix of meticulous, helpful and selfless that we are charged or charge ourselves to do things - especially the keeping going of things. But all beings need caring for and sometimes that fact is lost on those around us who see our competence and think we have no needs. Perhaps they think they could not meet our needs as well we could... I don't know, but it does not make us less tired.

    ReplyDelete