Monday, November 2, 2015

New Words

Today, I learned the word "lamprophony". What a great word.

I love words in all their shapes and sizes and complexities.

Words can be like X-rays if you use them properly -- they’ll go through anything. You read and you’re pierced. ― Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

If I were a fretful or worrying type, I would think about the possibility that some day, age or infirmity might steal all the words away from me. That would be a terrible, terrible thing. But then again, I think of my maternal grandmother, left with just four words after a life-shattering stroke, and it seemed to me that those four words were all she needed. So perhaps, with luck, I will keep just the words I need. 

Because even the smallest of words can be the ones to hurt you, or save you. ― Natsuki Takaya

No comments:

Post a Comment