Friday, March 13, 2015

Lesson

One of Herself's internet friends is an artistic and tremendously loving soul who fills her Facebook feed with beautiful photos, interesting articles, and philosophical and witty commentary. There is always food for thought among her posts. Recently, she posed the following query:

Posed for the sake of debate, this posit: the essence of who we are, our spirit, is transcendent, and we take corporeal form here on this earth, only gradually coming to our material senses (if ever) to learn something. Based on your experiences thus far, what is your lesson?

This is a magnificent question.

It requires a great deal of contemplation.

It took us a day and a half, but we have found our reply.

This is the one overarching lesson I have had to learn, over and over again, in so many different ways: People are the way they are. I cannot, through my own actions or through mentally willing things, change how others behave. I have to accept that they may not do as I would do under a particular set of circumstances, no matter how clear a choice of action would be to *me*. I must remember always, that what most people do, is the best they can do. 

It's a hard lesson. 

And I haven't finished learning it.


No comments:

Post a Comment