Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Dendrology

This past weekend, we were perusing the camping/outdoor supply store, and there were two pine cones near a display:  a giant one, and a wee little one.

Conifers are my favorite trees.  I need to find a good guide for distinguishing types of conifers -- pine, fir, spruce, and so forth.  Count the needles, observe the bark and the cones, note the shape and size of the tree. Remember the distinguishing characteristics of all of the species.

I shall study up on the trees.  I will find a tree book to carry with me for reference. Yes. That will be nice.

I feel a need to spend time in a forest, soon.

This helpful cone guide was found at the Texas  A & M Forest Service, Trees of Texas page, "How to ID" (http://texastreeid.tamu.edu/content/howToID/here.

No comments:

Post a Comment