Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pond Prince

Further fairy tale haiku.
--------------------------------

Upstart scientist
Proud, burning to make my name
Writing my treatise

Non-amniotic
Ectothermic tetrapod
Lissamphibia

Taxonomy first,
Phylogenetic tree next
No detail too small

Biological,
Physiological, and
Morphological

Esoteric traits
All-consuming minutiae
Obsessive was I

Study incomplete
Compelled to seek more knowledge
Turned to dark magic

Metamorphosis
Human to tadpole to frog
I am one with them

Hop, jump, flick my tongue
Consume gastropods, insects
Croak my song at night

My first-hand account:
Intimate portrait of frog
Tome becomes famous.

Golden ball descends
Orb of light, like her beauty
Shining through the mire

Frowning lovely lips
Averted entrancing eyes
Opalescent skin

Downy nape of neck
Ripening breasts - rosy fruit
Scented underarms

Smoothness of taut thighs
Curve of waist and small of back
Tempting, enticing.

Desire awakens
Not book knowledge, but carnal
Primal, visceral

I reach out to her
She recoils at my wet touch:
"Slimy cold creature!"

Struck down, horrified
Fame, facts, data, all for naught.
Amphibious Man

Unseemly moist skin
Webbed feet, gaping mouth, bulged eyes
Repellent am I

What have I become?
I beg, I plead:  "Just one kiss!"
All dignity gone.

Gathered in her skirt
Untouched, uncaressed, unloved
Returned to the pond.

Heartsick, rejected
Amplexus is forever
Unconsummated.

No comments:

Post a Comment