Sunday, February 19, 2012

Enter Politics, Just A Tiny Bit

While Herself traditionally refrains from discussing politics for a wide variety of reasons, there is one issue that has surfaced lately that astonishes her so much, that she feels compelled to say a few words.  Thus, I turn the blog over to Herself.

__________________________________________________

Why has contraception become a sudden hot issue for this upcoming presidential election? The vehement and occasionally scientifically-inaccurate promulgations are appalling in one hundred different ways that I cannot even begin to put into words.  There's a very dangerous tactic emerging in which personal viewpoints  on contraception have been put into the forefront -- almost as if the politicians are implying that if they are elected, they will work to impose their stance on birth control upon the entire nation.  I say "almost" for two reasons:  first, because I cannot believe this is true; second, because I refuse to believe that such a thing might occur. 

Rick Santorum, Republican presidential nominee hopeful, had the following to say recently:

One of the things I will talk about that no President has talked about before is I think the dangers of contraception in this country, the whole sexual libertine idea. Many in the Christian faith have said, “Well, that’s okay. Contraception’s okay.”  It’s not okay because it’s a license to do things in the sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be. They’re supposed to be within marriage, they are supposed to be for purposes that are, yes, conjugal, but also [inaudible], but also procreative. That’s the perfect way that a sexual union should happen. We take any part of that out, we diminish the act. And if you can take one part out that’s not for purposes of procreation, that’s not one of the reasons, then you diminish this very special bond between men and women, so why can’t you take other parts of that out? And all of a sudden, it becomes deconstructed to the point where it’s simply pleasure. And that’s certainly a part of it—and it’s an important part of it, don’t get me wrong—but there’s a lot of things we do for pleasure, and this is special, and it needs to be seen as special.

Clearly, he has framed this as a religious position by tying contraception to Christian beliefs regarding sex:  sex is supposed to be procreational and within the confines of marriage only.  Isn't the suggestion that this particular dogma be promulgated, heading down a slippery slope to a direct violation of the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States? Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.... Yes, technically it is not establishing a religion; yet, to impose a particular religious belief upon other individuals not of that religious faith is clearly a step towards doing so. Dangerous and disturbing.

While I'm expostulating, it occurs to me that I have a few questions for Rick Santorum, as well as any one else who holds his views regarding sex:

What about those among us who can no longer (or have never been able to) procreate?  Is any sexual union in which we participate -- even within the bonds of matrimony -- therefore somehow not "perfect"?  Is it therefore "diminished?"  Are we "deconstructing" the "very special bond" of which you speak by continuing to engage in sexual union while knowing that procreation is impossible? 

You imply that our actions -- and therefore ourselves -- are insufficient, missing out, imperfect.  Less special.  And we are but a mere fraction of the couples whom you seek to judge regarding our sexual activity. You tar and feather us all with one giant, judgmental brush.

In the immense and gloriously varied experience of humanity, the myriad motivations for engaging in sex cannot possibly be contained in the tiny box which you have constructed for them. People seek physical union for myriad reasons including, and far beyond, marital relations or procreation.  We wish for communion and comfort.  We long for release and respite from worldly cares.  We seek joy, and even, dare I say it, fun.  For pleasure, certainly.

Even for love.

Mr. Santorum, your views are not welcome in my bedroom (or anywhere else I may choose to have sex, for that matter). Or in my politics. Rest assured that I will not submit quietly to the imposition of your morality upon me or my fellow citizens. I do not know yet what action may be necessary; but I know I will do what is necessary.  I am watching, and I am learning.

For the first time in my naive, optimistic life, I begin to be afraid for the future of my country.

No comments:

Post a Comment