Sunday, August 14, 2011

Interlude: A Few Thoughts

We pause momentarily in our discussion of the five senses to bring to you Herself's mental flotsam and jetsam of today.  She writes:

I am desperately anticipating the return of the school year so that the family will have a more regular schedule and so that I will have a few moments by myself in the house.  I need a few hours of uninterrupted quiet.

Even only one tick in the house is still too many.

What saddens me the most about delivering Offspring the First to college this week, is contemplating how sorrowful Offspring the Second will be; he and his sister are very close friends, and it will be very hard for him without her here.

I wish I had a house elf, for the kitchen is dirty and everyone else in the family has already retired for the evening.

It is so difficult to know what to do when those around me are frustrated, sad, or hurting. I do a terrible job of walking the line between being available in case I can be of assistance, and providing space in case they need to be left alone. I suspect I err significantly on the side of being irritatingly present.  I hope they understand that my clumsy efforts are well-intentioned.  And I wish I could do more to help.

According to iTunes, I have listened to the same song over 50 times today.

And finally, while at the mall with Offspring the First today, I was reminded that Victoria's Secret stores fill me with despair in one hundred different ways.

Those are my thoughts tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment