Sunday, July 17, 2011

Black Belt

Herself speaks:

Seven months ago, when Offspring the Third was preparing for his black belt test, he wrote a composition describing what his black belt means to him.  I knew back then that my own test was somewhere on the horizon, so I began to contemplate my own essay.  I like to write, so I thought this assignment would be easy. 

No.
I confess that I do not know yet what a black belt means to me.  I can only tell you what the journey to black belt has meant to me. 

First, it has meant perseverance.   This has been a very long journey, with pit stops due to injuries, illnesses, and occasional interference from Life in General.  There have also been countless minor moments when I have tripped over mat gnomes, made an ass of myself, or merely wounded my own dignity.  I have had to learn to pick myself up and try again, every time.    
Second, it has meant humility.  The closer I have gotten to black belt, the more mindful I have become of my own limitations.  I am fully aware of how much more practice I need and how much I do not yet know.   Clearly, I am still at the very beginning of my tae kwon do journey. 

 Third, it has meant a whole new appreciation for my family.  I bear an enormous debt of gratitude to my Beloved, who has patiently endured the hours and hours I’ve spent in class, sometimes even foregoing the rare and valuable time that he and I could have spent together.  I also appreciate tremendously that Offspring the First, Offspring the Second, and Offspring the Third have not only kept me company on the mat, but also helped at home so that I could consistently be at the gym.  Thank you all for your unwavering support.
Fourth, it has meant companionship.  My classmates and I have sweat together, suffered together, laughed together, and occasionally cried together.   They are more than just my fellow students - they are a pea in my pod; they are a common-law family member; they are my friends.  They are my motivation and my inspiration. I would not be standing here now without them.  

And finally, it has meant muffins.  Muffins for everyone!
Thank you, Master and my dojang, for preparing me during this journey to black belt.  I am grateful.  Hopefully, someday, I’ll be able to tell you what the black belt itself means to me. 

Thanks again.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, on a well deserved and earned achievement. This is your chosen gift to yourself, a keepsake for eternity with no strings or returns. I am very proud of you, my most worthy friend and mate for life.

    ReplyDelete