Monday, April 11, 2011

Egg Nostalgia

Childhood memory:

My family had a collection of egg cups.  Some were shaped like little chickens, as I recall, and we even had a small chicken-shaped cozy to keep an egg warm. When I had a cold and was too germ-laden to join the family at the table, I'd get a tray in my room with a soft-boiled egg in an egg cup, ideally with toast (cut in triangles) so I could crack off just the top of the egg and stick the toast points into the still-runny yolk.  Add to that the special treat of being temporarily allowed to use the family's small black-and-white TV so I could watch The Banana Splits or some painfully wholesome PBS show, and it was a happy experience despite my being under the weather.

2 comments:

  1. Ah... exiled due to sickness.. I remember that as a kid also.. but I didn't get eggs or toast.. I got broth or jello and had to deal with reading BOOKS! Gosh I was sick a lot as a kid.. thus I got to read a lot..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, reading, good for the soul. I was always an avid reader as a child. Sometimes I used to pick a volume of the encyclopedia and work my way through it. Those few occasions when I was allowed television do stand out in my head because of their rarity!

    ReplyDelete