Thursday, February 10, 2011

Wounded

Herself was disheartened yesterday. She recently had a reminder that not all people are benevolent, and that even her own caring acts can be looked upon with suspicion. She has remembered similar happenings from the past -- occasions about which she has not thought for many years -- and feels discouraged and a tiny bit bitter. How hard it is, sometimes, to understand other people and what drives them to behave the way they do. Hidden motivations. Whispered questions masked behind false smiles. Insinuations and innuendos passed around like an illicit cigarette in the high school girls’ bathroom.  Hurtful.

Her pea-in-a-pod friend came to the rescue, though, providing her with the valuable words she needed to hear:

"I know who I am and what I am about, and anyone who feels the need to question my integrity and speculate behind my back is someone whose opinion I have no room for in my life."

Amen, and thank you.

In the meanwhile, until she feels better, Herself will find consolation in her piano.

No comments:

Post a Comment