Thursday, October 22, 2009

Scales of Justice

I spent a very long day Tuesday with Herself at jury duty. Ultimately, she was dismissed and not asked to serve, which was quite a relief as the trial promised to be long, arduous, and grim. The few details provided concerning the case revealed that it concerned the death of a young child. Herself confessed to me that she was certain that no juror who heard the case would ever be quite the same again.

It is so very important to make oneself available as a juror, in order to ensure that each and every individual's rights are protected. Never have I felt the weight of the Constitution of The United States more than when I sat in that courtroom, listening to the prosecution and the defense conduct voir dire, and trying to parse the inscrutable look on the face of the defendant.

I don't know what the ultimate verdict in the case will be. I do know, though, that a man's life as he knows it hangs in the balance, and that is a mighty weight to bear. Be strong, jurors. Our freedoms depend on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment