Friday, July 31, 2009

Handy

While being disembodied does have its advantages, there are moments when the absence of anatomical components other than my head weighs heavily upon me. My greatest sorrow is that I have no hands.

One of Herself's greatest joys is touching her loved ones: a pat of a child's hair or of a friend's shoulder is a means by which she can convey her fondness for another. The physical contact of sparring is a completely different, yet complementary, joy, for even in discomfort there is the satisfaction of endurance and conquering of self.

I am reminded of dialog from my favorite Television series, Kung Fu. It encompasses not only a reminder of the power of touch, but also a delineation of the yin and yang that arises with it.

Master Po: The hands, Grasshopper, are the eyes and the tongue of touch. Through them a man may reach out and see another's feelings, or speak his own.

Caine: Is it not sad, Master, that the hands of a man may strike a blow as well as caress?

Master Po: Pain and pleasure are like two bells, side by side. And the voice of each makes a trembling in the other.



No comments:

Post a Comment